Monday, October 2

KW's Birthday Meal

It was a good weekend. Not epic by any means, but special because we celebrated KW's birthday. It's funny how times have changed, we used to enjoy restaurant-hunting and eating out, but nowadays a meal at home is much welcomed. The kids can play within eyeshot, zero corkage fees for my father-in-law and we can just chill out till the cows come home.


Speaking of cows, KW made his now-signature Wagyu MB4 steaks. I know it's kinda WTH to make him cook on his birthday, but I wouldn't give up an opportunity to have his steaks. Leading up to lunch, I had been longing for them as long as we took out to thaw (48 hrs, mind you).

I mean just look at that! Ridiculously satisfying. It never fails to amaze me that we used to spend hundreds of dollars at steakhouses, and a treat like this is so much more affordable and attainable!


I made pasta. No, I meant I made fresh pasta. Making it I thought, Why do I do this to myself, I could have just boil some pasta and be done with it. But by the end of the meal, I'm all about fresh pasta.  This is just something incredibly charming about hand-making-kneading-slicing your own pasta. You have to try it. Just channel that inner Italian grandma within you. You can do it!


Inspired by our meal at Redd Wood, I made a black garlic sauce and tossed within basil, Portobello mushrooms and Parmesan cheese. The sweetish, earthy flavours were pretty awesome and unlike anything you've ever had.


My mother-in-law came back from Paris and brought back Pierre Herme macarons and a huge box of chocolate bon bons. Lots of sweets, lots of love.


When I asked KW what cake he wanted, he replied, "Just a simple cheesecake." I was all ready to order one when a foolish thought entered by mind, What if I made one? Hey presto ... Behold this Pistachio Basil and Salted Caramel Cheesecake! It was creamy and super dense, which the birthday boy loved.

I have made many meals in the past but this was surely one of my favourite meals to put together. A lovely meal that has surely inspired more to come!

1 comment:

LC said...

The black garlic pasta looks awesome! Could you share where to get black garlic and how to make the sauce? Thanks!