Wednesday, March 22

Birthday traditions at Silk, SICC

It has become somewhat of a tradition to celebrate KW's grandmother's birthday at Silk at SICC and we are pretty pleased about it. The food is great and we don't have to fret about the kids' acting up  - a win on many fronts. As per the usual arrangement, my father-in-law picked out a 8-course set meal and it was one of those rare instances where every dish was right up my alley. 


We kicked off with longevity buns before this little piggy arrived. Though I am no expert on suckling pigs, this was fantastic sample. Tender and fatty, veiled with thin crispy skin. 


That's my man, slicing up the pork cheek. I am blessed. 


"Banquet soups" are a really hit and miss for me, but I know I can always count on the creamy but light double-boiled fish bone soup with fish maw and bamboo pith.


Cereal prawns are my favourite and it took a lot of will power to not hoover down the cereal flakes. Silk does a really good wasabi prawn too.


Chinese mushrooms, tofu and greens. A break between the richness of the other dishes.


We were served individual portions of pan-fried Wagyu beef. By now, I was started to regret my pig-out with the roasted suckling pig, but this incredibly tender slice could not be passed up.


Another winning dish is the wok-fried crab meat with egg white and truffle oil.

I didn't take any pictures of the braised mee pok with truffle oil and assorted Chinese pastries but they weren't any different from previous years.

No comments: