Monday, July 25

Birthday Dinner Weekend

When I asked KW how his weekend was, he replied, "short." Well, I felt kind of guilty since he spent 1/4 of his weekend slogging out in the kitchen while I lay on the couch, relaxing like the baby in THIS video.

Unlike last year's big do with the double-tier pink-ombre cake and all, I had a small celebration over the weekend. My birthday is technically tomorrow but over the weekend, we had our folks come by for dinner. I got to eat all of my favourite food - and I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO LIFT A FINGER TO COOK IT! Though I did help shop for groceries, KW single-handedly prepared the entire meal. You see, my love language is 'Acts of Service," so it meant alot to me that someone was willing to slog it out just to make this occasion super memorable.


A few perk-us-up pretties


Love the tiny shrubs

Ok, enough with the mush. Bring on the nosh!


Caesar Salad

Poached eggs, punchy Caesar dressing and buttery croutons all made from scratch. Though we didn't grow the Romaines ourselves, this was sublime. It is going to be hard to go back to the store-bought or restaurant standards. Dang!


Maryland Crab Cakes

I have a mild obsession with crab cakes but they are such pricey pucks when you dine out. I wipped out two of these not-so-tiny babies within minutes. Ridiculously good! KW also made tartar sauce from scratch too - crazy guy. 

 

Oven Roasted Salmon

Salmon is one of my favourite fish so naturally it made sense to bestow this fatty fish some showtime. Simple but satisfying. If you only ever had dry overdone salmon, I would offer to make this for you (though technically it would have to be KW making it). 


Grilled Beef Shortribs


Smoke ring accomplished, enough said.


Black Amedei Chocolate Cake from Dolcetto at The Regent Hotel

Deep dark decadence was what I was going for and this cake hit the sweet spot. Bittersweet chocolate sponge, layered with dark chocolate mousse, wrapped in Amedei dark chocolate ganache. There was a teaching layer of crisp and crunch at the base that I wished there was more of!


Check out Lucas - AttiDUDE!

Man, the drama behind this photo. The past couple of weeks have been pretty humbling. Sometimes you feel like you are at the top of you world, you got your A game on, and other times, you feel like a complete failure at parenting. It's tough when you compare yourself to others and doubt yourself, but it helps to remember you are watching someone's highlight reel on Facebook, Instagram etc. I am still grateful for what I have so far - yes, even with a toddler-teenager under our roof.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday in advance! Your husband managed ALL those dishes ALL by himself? *impressed*. Any chance he would be sharing the recipes for the caesar salad and crab cake? Dang, they look so good!

yixiao said...

Yes, he prepared everything single-handedly :) I helped toss the salad haha

Here are the links:
http://www.onceuponachef.com/2010/07/maryland-crab-cakes-with-quick-tartar-sauce.html
http://www.onceuponachef.com/2010/08/caesar-salad-dressing.html

Thank you!