Monday, May 16

Tanuki Raw, Orchard Central

Tanuki Raw recently re-opened at Orchard Central with a brand new menu that serves up "modern, playful Japanese-meets-food-truck style cuisine." Admittedly, I liked what I saw on paper - a Fat Samurai disguised as a deep-dish pizza (not going to be that stealth after ingesting this I'm afraid) and Salted Duck Egg Char Siew Don (am always such a sucker for salted egg stuff), but in reality, my favourite dishes were the uncomplicated lets-not-beat-around-the-bush dishes.

The Good


Case in point: the Foie Gras Truffle Yakiniku Bowl was satisfaction seared and served in a bowl.  And that was quite a generous piece of foie gras too. It was so good we ordered another bowl.


Truffle Sweet Potato Fries fresh from their Mothership (the deep fryer) served alongside truffle aioli. You say "aioli," I say "mayo..." When I see the Firstborn pick on them, it makes me feel a wee bit better that these are made of sweet potato. #LiesItellmyself

The Not-so-Good


I am afraid the Salted Egg Char Siew Don was a zero-sum game. The sauce was weak and the char siew while tender was forgettable. Salted egg sauce needs a DFF (deep-fried friend) to cling onto, so texturally, this was a mismatch.


Golden Kani Maki - soft shell crab rolled with fresh snow crab, mozzarella stick and cucumber, topped with golden salted duck egg hollandaise. The soft shelf crab was like the teacher who picked on you back in school - cold, tough and stodgy. The entire dish consisted of one too many flavours and everything melded into an indiscernable mess.

And the "What Were You Thinking?!"


 

Instagram This Maki - When I saw the name, I thought of the frat Fung brothers from Broke Bites. This roll would make sushi chefs cringe and it isn't for the purist of heart. Fried yakiniku steak, bacon and tamago, smothered with malted cheese, mayo and onions. There was a lot going on and all I remember is, this tastes like something you would order and polish off with no recollection if you were drunk.

I wouldn't rule out Tanuki Raw but I would stick to the safer dishes in the future. Ok, maybe I will order the fat Samuri that wasn't available this visit too. #OldFartOut

No comments: