Wednesday, August 5

Thirds at The Sushi Bar, Ngee Ann City

No, your eyes aren't playing tricks on you. Feedly did not mess around with your feeds. We were back for more at The Sushi Bar. 


To say I am mildly obsessed with The Sushi Bar is sort of an understatement. KW and I made our third visit in three weeks with his parents and I think I finally got it out of my system. Well, I thought I was done but now, I am honestly plotting my next visit. 


It was the Kaisen Chirashu Don that brought us back. Oddly enough, we prefer this to the aburi-ed version. The Sushi Bar will never be restaurant of the year but the thick sashimi cuts sure hit the G-spot. G for gratifying. This is a PG13 blog, yo. 


These crunchy shrimp fritters are served with tobiko-topped kewpie mayonnaise - a cheap and dirty trick that I fell for hook, line and sinker. 


I first had the Scallop Mentaiyaki back at their Far East Plaza outlet and wasn't blown away. This time around, it was almost as if second chances paid off. Comparing the pictures, this was definitely done with more love and care.


Talk about love and care... Thick cut sashimi... Come to Mama.


The Pitan Tofu is a love my other half does not care for (boo). It is tiny but potent, which means I don't have to share but when I do, those who end up liking it too make my heart swell. 


The tempura here bears a thick batter which might throw some people off but not me. I am one of those who nitpicks those tempura fritter bits after everything has been picked off. You could give me a bowl of sushi rice with fried tempera bits and sweet sauce, and I promise I won't bother you for the next 10 minutes. 


If you have company who can't take raw stuff, there is hope for your friendship if you order the rolls - Salmon Aburi roll and Ebi Avocado. I liked how the rolls were not overly filled with rice and each piece was a perfect mouthful i.e. awesome date food.

I know I called this place "overhyped" a year ago, but I am happy to eat my words as long as the queue is thin and the sashimi cuts are thick.

No comments: