Wednesday, December 7

Tarty tasty Tuesday

It was finally my day off and I packed it in alright.

Lunch with my elder sister at PS Cafe Palais Renaissance.


PS ‘s Chicken in the Basket was a real surprise. Initially I thought it would just be deep fried chicken breast all sad and dry, in other words - resistible. Yet on the contrary, they were and I tore into those juicy, crusty strips like a mega trucker driver who had jut returned from a stay at Chiva Som . Were they first marinated with turmeric? Love that little twist. Lots of double dipping with lemongrass mayonnaise and barbecue sauce.


I love fried chicken.

You know the movie, 'Departures'? The Japanese movie that won Best Foreign Language Film at the 81st Academy Awards, Best Actor (Masahiro Motoki) at the 3rd Asian Film Awards and 3rd Asia Pacific Screen Awards, Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor (Masahiro Motoki) at the 17th Golden Rooster Award etc etc…

My favorite scene (and possibly a top five movie-food moment) sees the three protaganists tuck in - bare-hands - into a basket of fried chicken on Christmas eve. My sister told me in Japan, it's a tradition to eat KFC on Christmas day. Oh my gaw-. I'm not if that is true but I have always felt an affinity to the Japanese culture - one way beyond Shinkasen bentos - and I now understand what it is. Amen.


I was going to have tea later but the sweet and sour lemon pie had been calling out to me since er, last week.

Tangy, tart with just a hint of sweetness. Satisfaction.

After that, I met up with my other sister and ex tuition teacher, Ms Yeo, who I haven’t met up with 10 years. We recently reconnected through Facebook and met up for tea at TWG.

It’s crazy, isn’t it? I have had a whole bunch of tuition teachers but Ms Yeo was the only one who truly made a difference. She made me love maths. Back in those days when most people were pre-occupied with their first “BGRs” (that means boy-girl relationship for all you non Gen X or Ys out there), I was feverishly practising both A and E Mathematics by doing my Ten Year Series twice! And I wonder why boys never took any interest in me.


Anyway, back to tea, along with the pastries, we had macarons and scones.

Really enjoyed the buttery, raisin scones; these three words belong together like "warm, fluffy bread" and "deep fried chicken".


Raspberry Millefeuille - a block of Chestnut cream intermittently studded with raspberry wholes.


I think we all liked the Singapore Surprise more. Such patriotic folks we are. Loved the buttery, biscuit-y tart shell contrast against the tangy, custardy filling. Come to think of it, I have always had better luck with tarts at TWG.


After tea, I was positively itching for something savoury. It kind of slipped my mind that I just had fried chicken as Bon Bon chicken reared it's glossy, saucy head. I can feel my abs making a comeback.

Hmm... I wasn't blown way by the sweet-spicy wings and cold seaweed-sprinkled fries but at least, I satisfied my curiosity.

Hope you all have a tasty week ahead as there is plenty of time to make up for lost time.

No comments: